Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merging Clients

Mel24
Level 2

Hello! I have 2 individual 1040 clients who got married, is there a way to merge the spouse onto the taxpayer. They are rather large returns with lots of carryovers and depreciation schedules. Please tell me 🙂

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

Nope.  Keep the client file with the most stuff and manually add the spouse.

Slava Ukraini!
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

is there a way to merge the spouse onto the taxpayer

YES.  Definitely,  100%.  I call her my executive assistant.  She is well trained for Lacerte gigs like that.

Years ago (still DOS days for Lacerte), my niece, CS major, MIS minor, offered to help me customizing software utilities, including this type of merging (also for several accounting software, Solomon, CYMA etc.)  She did it as a project for her master's.  I found the time incurred for correcting bugs and cleaning up would be better used for Bourboning.  The follow year, she (half jokingly) asked to continue the work at  pretty much my billing rate.  I thanked her.  And that was that.

In case you're curious, she's now a big shot in Fin-Tech, whatever it is.  She says I owe her some sweat equity.  I told her she owes me her career.

Oops, @IRonMaN I'm over 5 lines...   

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.