Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical deductuction

MaryJ
Level 2

Is Bariatric surgery prefomed in Mexico deductible on the federal and AZ tax returns?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If they found a doctor that said they needed to have the surgery done for medical reasons rather than appearance reasons, go for it.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

If they found a doctor that said they needed to have the surgery done for medical reasons rather than appearance reasons, go for it.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

@IRonMaN 

I don't think bariatric surgery is ever done for cosmetic reasons -- you might be thinking of liposuction. 

I am writing this from my home here in Arizona that I bought from the estate of someone who died from complications of bariatric surgery.  And she didn't go to Mexico.  

If it's deductible on the federal return, it's deductible for Arizona, which allows everything without the 7.5% floor.  So the taxpayer might be itemizing for state, but not federal. 

Prescriptions bought in Mexico -- that's a different story, isn't it?  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Bob - No I wasn't thinking of liposuction........... just trying to cover all of the bases.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers