Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massachusetts 2020 Form 1-ES check boxes

JoanN307
Level 1

A 2019 Part-Year Resident of MA , who will be a full-year resident in 2020, is filing From 1-ES to make Estimated Tax Payments for 2020. I cannot change the check box on the Form 1-ES to make the taxpayer a Full-Year Resident, no longer a Part-Year Resident.  I don't see any place in Lacerte to indicate that she will be a full year resident. How do I correct Form 1-ES, other than manually on the printed forms?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Can't point you to the screen number since I'm away from my computer.

On the input for MA Part-Year/Nonresident Info, you'd find the toggle for Filing Massachusetts 1-ES for 2020 as resident.

You should also be aware that Lacerte will, by default, compute ES-Tax based on PY liability.  Since prior year exception does not apply to part-year residents, you should annualize the income for ES-Tax projection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 55 > Massachusetts Part-Year/Nonresident > check box right above Legal Residence (if different)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

Can't point you to the screen number since I'm away from my computer.

On the input for MA Part-Year/Nonresident Info, you'd find the toggle for Filing Massachusetts 1-ES for 2020 as resident.

You should also be aware that Lacerte will, by default, compute ES-Tax based on PY liability.  Since prior year exception does not apply to part-year residents, you should annualize the income for ES-Tax projection.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar