Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manually enter Federal Carryover - Deductible SALT

feedpoor
Level 1

Drawing a blank!  New client I am having to manually enter her info.  She has Federal Carryover to 2019 of Deductible SALT.  Where do I enter this amount?  

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
10 Replies 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

Are you sure about that carryover?

Armpit sniffer. Yup, checked out the help wanted ads and found the job. With my nose, how can I go wrong?
abctax55
Level 15

Me too... the return I'm trying to finalize would have a carryover of over $ 400,000 IF there is one.

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
IRonMaN
Level 15

I think that goes on form SOL.

Armpit sniffer. Yup, checked out the help wanted ads and found the job. With my nose, how can I go wrong?
sjrcpa
Level 15

Do you mean 2018 state tax balance due paid in 2019?

ex-AllStar
feedpoor
Level 1

No.  This is SALT carryover that was in excess of $10,000 in previous years.

0 Cheers
feedpoor
Level 1

On the General Information sheet from 2018 tax return:

Carryovers to 2019

Federal Carryovers

Deductible State and Local Taxes     $3,259

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

That is "NOT" excess of SALT.  

That is state tax paid in 2019 FOR 2018 - usually the 4th estimate for 2018 paid in Jan 2019, or the amount owed for the 2018 return paid in April 2019.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the $ 10,000 SALT limitation.  IF the amounts match, it's one of those odd coincidences that occasionally happen.

Former Chump..umm... AllStar...This message was typed from 6 feet away so you can safely read it immediately.

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
feedpoor
Level 1

She didn't pay any state tax for 2018 in 2019 - so that's not it.

Thanks anyway, got my answer from an local CPA friend.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I'm curious - what was the answer?

abctax55
Level 15

Me too....  "cuz there isn't a SALT carryover, local answer non-withstanding.

I'd hate for future searchers to see this & be confused.

Altho - I can't think of ANY way to easily make Lacerte take more than $ 10,000, as long as the PEBKAC doesn't exist.