Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a reviewer -

The gentleman over in the Proseries forum asking about purchasing 2 software programs inspired me to seriously consider hiring an associate to review my returns this season.  I'm getting busy and I feel that my internal control might be at risk.

So instead of 2 software programs to check my work, would a top tax pro here on the Forum be willing to be hired on a contract basis?  Maybe 30 minutes for $100? I could give you about 5-10 returns this season. What is your price?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I use an Excel template to double-check my data entry. Basically, everything that hits the tax return gets added up in Excel, and I compare that to the Lacerte tax summary. I have to screw up twice on the same item to get it wrong. 

Reviewing for more than just data entry takes a *lot* of time. I just got a new client with a fairly complex 1040. My first pass through, which took about an hour and involved looking at no original documents, reached the conclusion of "I disagree with that presentation but see no material errors." My second pass through, which took three more hours and still involved looking at no original documents, reached the conclusion of "there are multiple issues that can only be errors, plus indications that the original preparer valued speed over accuracy, leading me to believe that there are other errors that could only be identified accurately by starting over from the original documents. My best guess is that the obviously understated items are offset more or less equally by likely overstated items, and that the time involved in identifying any issues would be larger than the change in tax merits."

joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Great minds think alike, or perhaps just that geeky minds do the same geeky things.  Over the years, I've developed a control sheet - my staff would input the raw data and the control sheet matches to the tax return.  One year I got so drunk and in the zone that I even developed the tax tables (updated yearly) to do the tax computation, with the LTG/QDiv adjustments.   The top page of my tax file is the control sheet.

I was going to sell it.  But the main problem???   It's in LOTUS.  OMG....  LOL....     

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

LOL! Mine calculates QBI and NIIT and the excess Medicare tax and a big chunk of the 1116, but not the income tax. If Lacerte screws up the income tax calculation, I'd rather not know, because what the heck am I going to be able to do about it. Gains are right? Qualified divs are right? I ran eyeballs over any collectibles / 1250 amounts on the Sch D worksheet and they look reasonable? If the IRS doesn't like it, they're welcome to try and do a better job.