Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte transmission problems short year 2021 Estate 1041

Drphibes
Level 7

So I have a 2021 Federal Short final year 1041 Estate and trying to e-file  There is a critical diagnostic that says "An entry in Beginning fiscal year date indicates that this is a tax year beginning in 2021.  The tax progran does not make adjustments for laws that differentiate between tax years 2021 and 2020.  You must make all adjustments manually, including the calculation of tax, that apply to tax years beginning 2021 Ref #26546".  There are no differences in 2020 and 2021 for this return so no adjustments necessary.  I create the e-file and it validates with info diagnostics, no critical.  when I e-file it, I keep getting a Failed Transmission, been this way now for 2 hrs and have already e-filed and received ACKS in that time.  Anybody have any ideas?  The return needs to file ASAP or the Estate will face legal and court extension costs.  Executor is on the other side of the US.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
Drphibes
Level 7

Program is up to date and computer rebooted.

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

Took a look at the e-file status tab on Status and found:

Failed transmission on May 07, 2021
Validation Failure: Error 10: The submission is a duplicate of one that was previously received.

Lacerte is not recognizing that this is a fiscal 2021 filing and not the 2020TY filing we did earlier.

0 Cheers
kgreen8393
Level 5

If you have already used the 2020 software to E-File the 2020 calendar year tax return, then you can not e-file the short year 2021 return as it is also using the 2020 software.  It is considered a duplicate filing as a return has already been filed under that EIN using 2020 software.  You will need to paper file and add Form 8948 explaining why you are paper filing. 

Drphibes
Level 7

Was able to do it in the 2019 program last year, you just needed the next years fiscal return in a different directory than the one you filed previously.

kgreen8393
Level 5

That's good to know.  I never tried that.  We always just paper file the short year returns.

Drphibes
Level 7
Live by the sword, die by the sword. I was thinking of a fiscal year S-corp. The last time we did try to do this was 2018 and in the end had to file paper returns as the program will not allow 2 Fiduciary filings under the same EIN for the same program year. Gett'n old sucks. Sorry everyone for taking up your time.