Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte eSignature sends signature requests to Spouse first, before taxpayer - How to change?

GeoffSFC
Level 1

I have been using the lacerte eSignature service with a fair amount of small issues in 2019 so far, but i have come across what seems like a ridiculous feature in the system: eSignature requests are sent to the "Spouse" for signature before then being sent to the "Taxpayer" after the spouse has completed their signing. Needless to say, this seems backwards to the order you would expect the system to operate. Particuarly since the "taxpayer" cannot even view the documents until the spouse has completely finished signing. 

Does anyone know a way to change this? Lacerte seems very light on options for eSignature settings, and i could not find anywhere where this can be changed. 

Any opinions are welcomed

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
StknCPA
Level 4

While I would have assumed the documents would go to the taxpayer first, I cannot think of a "real" reason that they should not go to the spouse first. In theory, it is a joint return, and it shouldn't make a difference, should it?

OTOH, I guess I can see a situation where the taxpayer is assertive and the spouse is passive (in financial and/or tax matters!), so one or both of them want the taxpayer to review the return first.

Regardless, it does seem like something the preparer should be able to control.

Bob Saunders
Level 3

Any follow up on this?  Why can't it go to both at the same time?

staff4cakcpa
Level 2

Do I still get Cheers if it is a workaround solution? In the Request esignature popup, you can select the drop down option to Select document type of Other document for signature, and Browse to upload a blank document. Finish the request and you are redirected to DocuSign in your browser, creating a Draft in your DocuSign account. Log in to your DocuSign account and go to the Draft folder to open the request. There, you can delete the blank document and Set the signature order, etc.

Bob Saunders
Level 3

ok - cheers - but too much effort.  This is supposed to be easier.  I find this to more effort than paper.  Why does the invoice only go to taxpayer?  Why can't I browse for an attachment in DMS?  Why can't we indicate in the software that it is an e-sign and produce a different letter and sort by the code?  Why can't it automatically put copies of docements we are sending into DMS like a complete print does?  If this is not better soon we need to look for something better!  

0 Cheers
staff4cakcpa
Level 2

Following up: It appears the default is back to sending both taxpayer and spouse at the same time!