Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kiddie Tax 2018 amendment

Ember123
Level 4

I thought Lacerte updated the 2018 individual program to allow for an amendment to calculate the federal kiddie tax based on the parent's rate. The check box is there but the calculation isn't happening. Anybody know what's going on? I called Laceret and did not get an answer.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

That is embarrassing that Support could not understand the question. Which check box - The first one in Screen  3. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Ember123
Level 4

Screen 43  "calculate tax at parent's rate "

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Did you check the box in Screen 3?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I did generate a sample return to test this. First thing I notice is that Family Link does not transfer data. Screen 43, you have to input manually, just like in olden days. My guess is that will be updated someday. I don't know your figures, but what I used originally was not high enough to affect a change. I increased the child's interest income to 15,000 and did generate a difference of $60. 

It does work. Not very elegantly and takes more effort than it should, but it does work.

Ember123
Level 4

I checked the box in screen 3. I checked the box in screen 43. I manually input the parents data. The child has 6,000 wages and $45,000 unearned income, under age 24 full time student. The program ignores me and calculates the tax using trust rates. Tax year 2018. I am trying to amend the 2018 return to calculate the kiddie tax at the much lower parent's rate. It's not happening.

0 Cheers