Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Itemized Deduction

stella_karavas
Level 1

I have a couple where one is a foreign national. They are filing MFS and the taxpayer has paid all the itemized deduction.  The program is splitting 50/50.  How do you enter these as all "Taxpayer"?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
pamdory
Level 8

I agree that this is probably necessary.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
sjrcpa
Level 15

Did you start with a MFJ return and split it into 2 MFS?

Do they live in a community property state?

Ex-AllStar
stella_karavas
Level 1

No I started with MFS as she is a foreign national and they are not in community property state.  Should I do the MFJ first to get that option?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

No, don't do MFJ.

If you have a MFS file, I don't see how the software would split any itemized deductions.

You should enter only your taxpayer's itemized deductions. 100% of these should go on his Schedule A.

Ex-AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15

You shouldn't have to, but try indicating T (for Taxpayer) next to each itemized deduction amount.

Ex-AllStar
pamdory
Level 8

I agree that this is probably necessary.

itonewbie
Level 15

@stella_karavas The reason they're filing MFS is that both of them live overseas or the foreign national spouse lives separately overseas?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
stella_karavas
Level 1

No - they just got married in November and she cannot live in US yet.  So she has no US income - works in EU 

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

May benefit from joint election depending on the NRA spouse's level of income.  However, other factors such as foreign entity ownership and investments in foreign mutual funds that could complicate US tax filing should be considered or at least planned for even if the election is not to be made for 2022.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers