Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a work sheet that shows the calculation that ends up on Form 6251 line 2n?

holzzucker
Level 1

When I right click to go to line 2n for input it just goes to the pass thru K-1 input for one of the nonpassive partnerships - isn't there a worksheet that shows the actual calculation for the line - this client has 2 non passive partnerships and 2 non passive S corporation K-1s and I can't determine if the figure on Line 2n of Form 6251 is calculating correctly.  Where do I find the calculation source?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There is not a worksheet. In prior years there has been a worksheet for the analogous Line 20. In my unfortunate experience, the worksheet was always entirely unhelpful. I could usually get the sum of 17, 19, and 20 (now k, m, and n) to mostly match my current year AMT adjustments further adjusted by the change in passive carryforwards from the prior year and to the following year. But the logic of how much ended up on which line was never clear.

With only 4, and all of them non-passive (with plenty of basis and at risk?), I'd expect that the sum of those three numbers to match my hand calculation exactly. Once you get up into the 10s of K-1s, the odds of having bogus -1 errors really goes up and you have to decide about materiality.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

There is not a worksheet. In prior years there has been a worksheet for the analogous Line 20. In my unfortunate experience, the worksheet was always entirely unhelpful. I could usually get the sum of 17, 19, and 20 (now k, m, and n) to mostly match my current year AMT adjustments further adjusted by the change in passive carryforwards from the prior year and to the following year. But the logic of how much ended up on which line was never clear.

With only 4, and all of them non-passive (with plenty of basis and at risk?), I'd expect that the sum of those three numbers to match my hand calculation exactly. Once you get up into the 10s of K-1s, the odds of having bogus -1 errors really goes up and you have to decide about materiality.

0 Cheers