Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a trick to generating CA fiduciary Form 541 Schedule G?

Karen_pdx
Level 2
I have input the residency of the fiduciary on Screen 1 client information (non CA resident) and also the residency of the beneficiary (CA resident), but the Sch G on Form 541 (Side 3) doesn't populate. Is there another input that triggers it?
0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
Karen_pdx
Level 2

Further update, I did find in the instructions that Sch G is not required when all the beneficiaries are CA residents, so that takes care of this particular fact pattern, since the single beneficiary is a CA resident.

However, in playing around with the inputs, I tried setting both trustee and beneficiary as nonresident, and even then the Sch G did not populate. Just for knowledge sake, if someone knows how to trigger Sch G to populate, I would appreciate knowing.

KarenA
Level 2

Per discussion with Lacerte, Schedule G only populates if the return type is a trust.  The problem is if the return is for a Revocable Trust for which you did a 645 election i.e. treat as an estate.  Then Lacerte will not populate Schedule G since this tax return will have a return type of "Decedent's Estate" and not a trust.  ProSystem FX has an override box in their input which states "Force Schedule G" for this situation.  Lacerte also needs a similar override box to take care of Revocable Trusts which have filed a 645 election and have either a CA resident trustee or CA resident beneficiary.

0 Cheers