Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the article that was just posted about filing Form 4868 by May 17 for those affected by Federally declared disasters (i.e. Texas) correct?

nwempe
Level 3
Everything I have read says that Texans have until June 15 to file Form 4868.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
PKCPAMST
Level 5

For businesses and individuals located in Texas, the deadline is June 15. Here is the link to the news release from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/victims-of-texas-winter-storms-get-deadline-extensions-and-other-tax-re...

0 Cheers
OK_CPA
Level 1

I had the same question.  IntuitAustin needs to provide an authoritative source stating that an extension must be filed May 17 for a return that is not due until June 15.  

nwempe
Level 3

Yes I agree.  That's the news release I have been going by but the article posted by Lacerte says Form 4868 should be filed by May 17 even for those businesses and individuals in Texas.  I think that's an error on Lacerte's part and they should correct that.

dmwBH
Level 2

I'm wondering the same.  It says if the return won't be filed by June 15, paper and electronic extensions need to be filed by May 17.  I don't think that is the understanding of most people.  I would agree in order to efile an extension you need to do that by May 17 due to the IRS schema issue but why would paper extensions not be accepted after that until June 15?

0 Cheers
Leah4706
Level 2

Lacerte is rejecting all of my extensions saying I'm trying to file them after the original due date.  I assume they're meaning April 15th??  At the very least that date should be May 17th so the Federal extensions should go through.  I'm in Texas so I shouldn't have to extend until June 15th in my opinion.  What a mess!  But Lacerte needs to get their extension e-file problem fixed.

0 Cheers
nwempe
Level 3

l had the same problem with extensions and finally ended up sending some in the mail.

0 Cheers