Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to set up a single "filter" to portray ALL clients that have carryover credits OR losses? In process of selling client list and I don't want this type information to be lost for all future years..

lovetaxes
Level 3

Unfortunately, I've seldom used the "Lacerte Filters".  Potential buyer may not be using Lacerte and I'm concerned that carryover items could easily be missed. This would include STATE carryover credits, like the Solar Energy Credit.

Many thanks for any assistance,

Lovetaxes

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15
No. Print the General Info. for each client and put it on top of each client's folder. That is the test method I can suggest for any NOT going to keep the software. Lacerte does a good carrryover, but if it is converted I would strongly suggest spending the time to be sure each of the returns exactly matches what was filed for 2020 before doing a proforma to 2021 - especially depreciation and state and federal carryovers.
Lacerte even has a special check box to indicate you have done that if converting TO Lacerte.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15
No. Print the General Info. for each client and put it on top of each client's folder. That is the test method I can suggest for any NOT going to keep the software. Lacerte does a good carrryover, but if it is converted I would strongly suggest spending the time to be sure each of the returns exactly matches what was filed for 2020 before doing a proforma to 2021 - especially depreciation and state and federal carryovers.
Lacerte even has a special check box to indicate you have done that if converting TO Lacerte.

George4Tacks
Level 15

Here is how to create a filter https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1040/help/creating-a-custom-client-filter/00/4032 it is not perfect.

lovetaxes
Level 3

You have come through once again, George4Tacks and I can't thank you enough for volunteering your expertise. As a result I was able to set up a FILTER for passive loss carryovers without a problem, just slow in setting up the process. I don't think you can isolate the same way for 8915E carryover amounts that will be due to IRS for the following years. Whereas this is a new item, it doesn't appear that there is a way to set up a FILTER.

The best part of this is that it locates the specific clients that meet the criteria of the filter without having to search for them individually.

Have a great weekend, Bob