Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing lacerte on standalone computers. how many allowed?

Tom23
Level 1

i am a sole proprietor that has several locations and drag around a laptop with my Lacerte program on it to the various locations.  i realized that if i could install the programs at each location computer i will not have to deal with the laptop.  i do not want to go to a network or cloud setup that just creates issues and my practice is not that large.

so how many standalone computers can I install my Lacerte Tax software and use it.

thanks 

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

The technically correct answer is "as many as you'd like."

The practical answer is "you may find that you don't like more than one." You'd be replacing "there's a laptop in my bag" with "I have to install updates separately on every computer" and "my client data files are not all in one place and need to be backed up from each location" (or you could solve that last one with "there's a hard drive in my bag").

Also, EFINs are location-specific; one EFIN covers one "e-files are transmitted from here" physical location. If you're e-filing from each satellite computer at its own location, you technically need an EFIN for each location. (This is also a potential issue with your laptop, if you efile with it from multiple locations.)

0 Cheers