Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I reach the SALT limitation with property tax should the 2018 state refund still be fully taxable in 2019?

mflei654321
Level 1

If you have 10,000 in property tax and 10,000 in state tax and say a 4,000 state refund the State and Local Refunds Taxable in 2019 worksheet will still say that the refund is taxable without considering the SALT limitation. Should it be not taxable since the state tax does not provide any 2018 due to the SALT limit or possibly a pro rata 50% taxable as if both were used equally or still fully taxable?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Maybe.

What do you think will happen if you CHOOSE to deduct sales tax on federal Sch A instead of state income taxes? Your Sch A SALT deduction will still be $10,000, you won't have deducted ANY state income taxes, and that refund will not be taxable income in 2019.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Accountant-Man
Level 13

Maybe.

What do you think will happen if you CHOOSE to deduct sales tax on federal Sch A instead of state income taxes? Your Sch A SALT deduction will still be $10,000, you won't have deducted ANY state income taxes, and that refund will not be taxable income in 2019.

0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
A mind at work is a wondrous thing to see!
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 13
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. At 3 o'clock on a Saturday, I'm wasted.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
:smiling_imp::smiling_imp:
0 Cheers