Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long can you depreciate a residential property if converted it to residential use for some years

Ivy GSG
Level 2

Hi community,

Client has a single-family residential property that has been rented for 4 years. In 2022, client took it back and converted to primary residential property and planned to live in there for some time. 

Suppose that client would live in the house for 3 years and rented it out again afterwards. Would this 3-year personal use time be included in 27.5-year SL depreciation time? Thank you very much!

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Sorry, I'm a ProSeries user, not a Lacerte user.  But maybe a Lacerte user will come along and answer that for you.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

The 27.5 years starts again, using the lower of (a) the Adjusted Basis and (b) the FMV.

And manually keep track of the prior depreciation for whenever it sells.

Ivy GSG
Level 2

Thank you!

To delete deprecation expenses regarding the rental property for 2022 I found two ways to do it in Lacerte. One is to override current depreciation/amortization (screen 22) by inputting -1; the other is to input 1=delete this year in Additional Information (scroll down screen 22).

Do you know the difference between these two methods?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Sorry, I'm a ProSeries user, not a Lacerte user.  But maybe a Lacerte user will come along and answer that for you.

Ivy GSG
Level 2

Thank you anyway!

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Delete this year will delete the asset. It won't rollover to next year.

-1 will give it -0- depreciation this year but leave it in the software.

Ex-AllStar
Ivy GSG
Level 2

Well explained. Thank you!

George4Tacks
Level 15

The override current depreciation would allow the assets to proforma to next year. 

The delete this year will delete this year. No proforma to next year,

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Ivy GSG
Level 2

Lol thank you! Wish you the same.😄

0 Cheers