Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I input 280F(b)(2) recapture?

rosicamp
Level 2

What screen and section will allow me to input to recapture depreciation for assets that have less than 50% business use on Form 4797, part IV (Page 2) under the Section 280F (b)(2)?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

Where do I enter recapture when business use drops under 50% for Part IV?

1. Go to Screen 17, Dispositions.
  2. Click on the Carryovers/Misc button.
  3. Scroll down to the Form 4797 section.
  4. Locate the Recapture 50% or Less Business Use heading.
  5. Enter the amount you want to print on line 33(a) in Section 179 expense deduction.
  6. Enter the amount you want to print on line 34(a) in Depreciation allowable.

Lacerte will generate a diagnostic reminding you that income from the recapture must be manually entered as other income on the form or schedule that originally took the deduction. See Troubleshooting diagnostic ref. 2025063 – Recapture amounts from Form 4797, Part IV for more info.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

Where do I enter recapture when business use drops under 50% for Part IV?

1. Go to Screen 17, Dispositions.
  2. Click on the Carryovers/Misc button.
  3. Scroll down to the Form 4797 section.
  4. Locate the Recapture 50% or Less Business Use heading.
  5. Enter the amount you want to print on line 33(a) in Section 179 expense deduction.
  6. Enter the amount you want to print on line 34(a) in Depreciation allowable.

Lacerte will generate a diagnostic reminding you that income from the recapture must be manually entered as other income on the form or schedule that originally took the deduction. See Troubleshooting diagnostic ref. 2025063 – Recapture amounts from Form 4797, Part IV for more info.

Ex-AllStar
rosicamp
Level 2

Thank you SJRCPA!!!

sjrcpa
Level 15

You're welcome. It is hard to find.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

".........be manually entered as other income on the form or schedule that originally took the deduction"

How many times does THIS get missed <w>

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

It would be nice, if after all these years, Lacerte would have a field/link "report on Line/Schedule xx"

Ex-AllStar