Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How accurate is importing scanned sourced documents with Lacerte Tax Import

RICHARD101
Level 2

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I don't have any first-hand experience with it.  However, based on comments that I've read, it seems like you would spend more time scanning and reviewing/checking all of the numbers, rather than just entering the original amounts yourself.

Gary K
Level 2

I used it for the 2021 filing season. It does not populate proforma lines from the prior year on Schedule B, etc. - adds new ones.  Picks up dollar signs as numbers. Picks up parts of EIN numbers as data. Doesn't differentiate between taxpayer and spouse on some forms like W-2s. Picked up code A A on W-2 box 12 as uncollected social security tax which is code M. Save your money IMO.

abctax55
Level 15

I have my staff directly keypunch most tax returns (especially those that I  'might' consider scan/import).  And if I keypunch a return, doing it using batch entry is really fast

ONE, just ONE error can slow down my review process significantly. 

My one try at scan/import (several years ago) didn't impress me much. 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
scheunemanncpa
Level 4

We have used scan and import or gruntworx for a few years.  The scanner/importer needs to do a good job reviewing before it is imported for it to work well.  We find that is saves time having support staff do this part of the process.  It means less time in the file for the tax professional.