Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home improvements medically necessary

Taxpayer spent 150K on medically necessary home improvements in 2023. He did not get an appraisal before, and he did not get an appraisal after.  He knows that there will be no increase in the assessed value by the county tax assessor (through a friend who works for the county.)  Is this sufficient corroborating evidence to show no increase in value for the medical deduction?

0 Cheers
1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

Of course not.  It has nothing to do with property tax assessments, especially when you have a friend at the county.  A real estate agent might be a good source.  Two or three of them, even better.  

View solution in original post

13 Comments 13
BobKamman
Level 15

Of course not.  It has nothing to do with property tax assessments, especially when you have a friend at the county.  A real estate agent might be a good source.  Two or three of them, even better.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

Does the friend at the county know a good barber that your client can get some advice from?  Out of an abundance of curiosity, what did the client spend $150K on that won't have any effect on the value of the home?

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I had a client who installed a system that would use a lift to carry a patient from bedroom to bathroom.  Another client installed an elevator from the basement, where an elderly parent had separate living quarters, to the ground floor.  In the first case, the improvements were removed before the house was sold, because they actually decreased the value of the home.  

IRonMaN
Level 15

I said I was curious, I didn't say it was impossible. 😁

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

I know you are curious.  I wasn't trying to imply that you are snide.  

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Bob, Ironman said "have an effect" which I would wonder how one could spend $150000 without having an effect (good or bad) I do know if you install a pool in some parts of the country it will increase value, and in other parts it will decrease value, but it will have an effect.

We are going with the RE agent report - before and after.  Will be some 100s of bucks, but it is worth it.

Lift, ramp, handles were the biggest improvements.

The medical improvements make it less attractive for the general population of homebuyer such as families.

A RE tax assessment generally correlates, or tracks, the fair value sale price and could be viewed as a proxy for an actual agent report. I don't think that argument would win but lacking any other evidence, it could.

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

@Strongsilence-CPA 

" ...A RE tax assessment generally correlates, or tracks, the fair value sale price" 

That may apply in your state and probably many more, but it most definitely doesn't apply in California (due to Prop 13).  My house is 'valued' on our property tax statement at $ 140,000.   We could sell it for a bit more than that 😉

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Based on prior posts, I think CA is home for both of you.

Slava Ukraini!
abctax55
Level 15

Jeff.... I believe you are correct.

I 'suppose' one could just do the math on the increase.   I'm not sure I'd trust it tho; and for such large amount I'd likely go with an appraisal.

( Generic Comment )"

CA is my state and I forgot about Prop 13 and you are right. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

If they can afford $150K for improvements, they can afford the $750 - $1,000 for an appraisal.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

@Strongsilence-CPA 

I sent 'ya a private message.

At least twice a year (when paying property taxes...) I say thanks to Prop 13.  Altho I think it's a marginal plan on how to run a 'business'.  

( Generic Comment )"