Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grantor Type Trust California: can you e-file this tax return or no?

Taxboy
Level 2

Hello Everyone,

I am new to my job, and I was tasked to finding out why we cannot file an e-file tax return for a Grantor Type Trust to California on Lacerte. I have come up empty on searching these forumns and websites. Have these always been paper filed or no?

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
michele
Level 7

first place to check is if your state accepts those efiled. This is the first year Indiana has accepted them efiled. Yeah I was so glad. If California does accept efile. then look within the program to see if it is preventing you from filing.

Michele

Taxboy
Level 2

Thank you so much for your response,

To my knowledge it seems like you can e-file a grantor type trust however on lacerte I get this error: 

ref #37455

GRANTOR 541
CALIFORNIA GRANTOR RETURNS CANNOT BE E-FILED. FILE THE RETURN AS A CONVENTIONAL
PAPER RETURN.

I mean that seems clear to me, but my superiors would like me to dig deeper would you or anyone else know where to look. I have been researching the california ftb website and it seems like it would be okay. Also in lacerte there are the e-file authorization signature pages ready.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Lacerte is telling you that a CA Grantor Trust cannot be efiled. It may in fact be their constraint and not CA's, but you're not going to get any clearer explanation than that.

Ex-AllStar
Taxboy
Level 2

yeah that is what I figured as well, but now I can at least tell the bosses I tried.

Thank you soo much

willatbird
Level 5

A bit down the road, but I'm getting the same message. A colleague of mine has eFiled two grantor trusts with California today, so I'm assuming it's a Lacerte problem. One more reason to start looking at other software.

If anyone has a work around I'd sure like to know about it.

0 Cheers
hcklau
Level 1

Anyone find a work around or is this issue resolved for tax year 2023?

0 Cheers
jerry
Level 5

I got the same message that it can't be e-filed, so I mailed paper.

I figure the FTB will be a much better motivator than I would be to get Lacerte to support it.

0 Cheers