Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georgia Form 500 - Selecting Ordering of Tax Credit Utilization

MSudduth
Level 1

I am preparing a Georgia individual tax return (Form 500) in Lacerte that contains both qualified education expense credits (code 125) and low income housing tax credits (code 109).  Georgia allows the taxpayer to decide which of these credits gets utilized first and we really need the qualified education expense credits to be utilized FIRST.  However, I do not see anywhere in Lacerte where such an ordering selection can be made.  Can this be done and I am simply overlooking how to do this?  Absent being able to select the order, Lacerte is utilizing the low income housing tax credits first which is causing the qualified education expense credits to keep being carried forward.  We run the real risk of not being able to ever utilize some of these credits if we cannot select the ordering rules in Lacerte.  If I am missing how to select the order, please let me know. 

If this cannot currently be done, will you please (!) consider making such a selection part of the 2021 program?  Absent being able to do this, we will face some difficult choices in 2021 and 2022.  I really do not want to prepare and file a physical copy of the return.  That would be time consuming and there is a chance GA DOR could reject it because there is an electronic filing mandate when claiming these types of credits (i.e. "100" series credits) by the GA DOR.  Thanks for your consideration.

0 Cheers