Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full amount of 1/2 of SE Tax Deduction is not reducing QBI.... why?

linda4
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

Lacerte is indeed reducing QBI by 1/2 of SE-tax.  You may want to check that the activity you referred to is marked as a qualified trade or business (depending on the default of each Schedule) and check the worksheets in more details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
itonewbie
Level 15

Lacerte is indeed reducing QBI by 1/2 of SE-tax.  You may want to check that the activity you referred to is marked as a qualified trade or business (depending on the default of each Schedule) and check the worksheets in more details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Oh, and if you have multiple qualified trades or businesses, the SE-tax deduction would be allocating among these activities to which the deduction is attributable.  You're probably not referring to this when you say "full amount" but thought I'd just toss this in just in case.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
linda4
Level 2
The case is husband and wife partnership.  Both receive K-1s with QBI/self employment income.  The QBI info is properly input in the K-1 input section.  I have thoroughly reviewed the QBI worksheets.   The total of 1/2 SE Tax deduction as listed on worksheets is $226 less than 1/2 SE Tax deduction on 1040.  No other source of SE income for either spouse.  Also, the SE Health Insurance deduction is not reducing QBI (and not listed on worksheets).  I have tagged the SE Health Ins to the respective K-1s in the SE Health Ins input section.  I have other instances where the calculation has been correct (Sched C, Sched F).  But returns with partnership K-1 QBI hasn't been accurate.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Just to check, are these K-1's from an s corp or partnership?
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
linda4
Level 2
Partnership
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
SE-tax deduction should be flowing correctly.  If you could post your input screen and the QBI worksheet, we may be able to help you diagnose the problem.

Will respond to your question about SEHI on your other post.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers