Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8960 is calculating a NIIT tax on a final Form 1041 for an estate. Does this sound like a plausible scenario?

Highlighted
Level 1
 
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

No it does not sound correct. All income gets distributed on a final return, so there should be nothing upon which to calculate NIIT.

P.S. I could swear I answered this a couple of hours ago.


ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Replies 2
Highlighted
Level 15

No it does not sound correct. All income gets distributed on a final return, so there should be nothing upon which to calculate NIIT.

P.S. I could swear I answered this a couple of hours ago.


ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 1
I agree that DNI carries out all income on a final return.  What is worrying me is that the calculations for portion of 8960 starting at Line 18 make some sense.  The estate had interest, dividends, net rental income, a nonqualified annuity (large dollars), and IRA and a 403(b) (even larger dollars).  All income except for the qualified plans factor into the 8960 calculations.  They make up approximately 30% of all the assets, while the qualified plans are the other 70% of value.  The deduction allocation on those workheets is reducing the charitable deduction (two charities totaling 40% of residue) by about 30% and other deductions by about 29%.  That is what is leaving over $6,000 that is being determined as "undistributed income."  The NIIT on $6,000 is $229.  
0 Cheers