Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreign Tax Credit Carry over

zoilomd
Level 2

Hi,

My client has foreign tax credit carry over for 2022 from prior years.  This foreign tax credit arose from her foreign source wage income.  Starting 2022, she has no foreign source income and all her income are within the US.  In previous years, she filed Form 1116 to claim foreign tax credit. 

My question is how can she claim the foreign trax credit carry over in 2022 and succeeding tax years.

Hoping for your assistance on this.

Thanks,

Zoilo

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Sounds like she's unlikely to ever get a benefit from those foreign taxes.

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Sounds like she's unlikely to ever get a benefit from those foreign taxes.

zoilomd
Level 2

Hi Phoebe,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Zoilo

Norman2001
Level 7

She can have foreign income from investments such as ETFs and mutual funds.  Quite often these receive foreign income and pay foreign taxes.  

itonewbie
Level 15

If your client has FTC carryover from foreign employment/assignment, likelihood is he/she may travel on business overseas.

Ask your client to track those days as it could generate sufficient foreign-source income to utilize those credits - whether your client could benefit would depend on the number of foreign workdays and your fees for preparing F.1116.  In case your client was on assignment and was tax equalized/protected, however, most companies' policies would require tax benefits from these carryover to be paid back.

Of course, there's no telling whether your client will be on assignment again before those carryovers expire.  Those credits can come in handy if they ever move to a lower tax jurisdiction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
zoilomd
Level 2

Hi sir,

Thanks for your reply sir.  Yes, my client has tax equalization program with her former employer.  I will inform her if their tax equalization program includes paying back those  tax credit carryovers.

Thanks a lot, again.

Zoilo

0 Cheers
zoilomd
Level 2

Hi Norman

Thanks for your quick reply and we consider this already and the client don't expect to have these type of transactions.

Thanks a lot!

Zoilo

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Norman2001 FTC from foreign employment is in the General Limitation basket whereas foreign taxes paid on investment income are normally in the Passive basket.  FTC's in these baskets don't mix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers