Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling out a form W9 for a deceased taxpayer

AngelWinks
Level 2

Aunt's daughter passed away. The daughter has no estate to speak of, just some personal items. However, she does have some vacation pay coming. My Aunt contacted the employer to see how to get that check sent to her and they want her to fill out a W-9??? in order to get the last of her daughter's pay. So, in the top of W-9 where it asks for name and ss # of the one claiming the money, is that the Aunt's information they are asking for? It seems like this may not be the correct form?? This is for a rather small sum less than $1000. She has other forms they sent her as well, and also the death certificate she is sending. The Aunt will need the check made out to her of course. And of course, the deceased daughter cannot sign any forms! I wonder why they even want the W-9. I've read all the instructions on a W-9 I found on the IRS site and can't find anything regarding a deceased issue.

Box 1 says "Name as shown on your income tax return" - who's name? The deceased or the beneficiary? Seems it should be the mother of the deceased? Or they'll send a check made out to the deceased and back to square one!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

They want the information pertaining to the benefiary that will receive the check.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

They want the information pertaining to the benefiary that will receive the check.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

They want a W9, because this is reported on a 1099-Misc to the estate.

Here are some easy-to-understand articles:

https://ktllp.com/2017/09/payroll-reporting-deceased-employees/

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/hr-qa/pages/deceasedemployee.aspx

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers