Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

filing a superceded tax retun

Bob8283
Level 1

Let's vote for Lacerte to add superseded tax returns to its e-filing capabilities.  My practice is in CA and we are expecting the PPP loan forgiveness expenses to become deductible shortly (AB 80) as soon as they agree on how much it will be.  Not to mention that the "new" stimulus bill which is expected to be signed this week will make up to $10,200 in unemployment benefits tax free.  I don't know about you guys but the superseding option looks good to me here rather than amended tax returns. Right now, the Lacerte folks say you must do a superseded tax filing on paper.  "Paper" will take about 6 months to be processed by the IRS these days...LOL.  Any yes votes here?

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

It seems like the IRS does not allow a superseded 1040 to be e-filed yet.

Publication 4164 (for the 2021 processing year):

The superseding return designation is available for Forms 1041, 1120, 1120-F, 1120-S and 1065.

The superseding return designation is not available for Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, 1040, 1120-POL and 2290. The amended return box must be checked for any subsequent Forms 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF or 1120-POL returns to be accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4164.pdf#page=24