Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file mapping

bill_md
Level 1

I downloaded the 20 tax program to a different computer.  I copied the IDATA files on my backup to the 20 tax folder.  When I open the 20tax program and pull up a client there are some red dots on the client page and when I look at the forms tab no information populates on the forms.  Is there a step I need to do to have the 20 year work? 

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you need more than the IDATA files.

A better way to transfer data is to back it up thru Lacerte on the old computer and then restore it thru Lacerte on the new computer.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4

Mapping data and files requires being very thorough and complete and precise. I have had to do it.  I can't tell you anything other than that.

If you can reach Rebecca at tech support she will be able to help. She is smart and knowledgeable. I don't know how to reach particular people in tech support.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you need more than the IDATA files.

A better way to transfer data is to back it up thru Lacerte on the old computer and then restore it thru Lacerte on the new computer.

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

You can copy/paste the idata FOLDER - not just the idata file.  Each client's data consists of 4-6 actual files.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
bill_md
Level 1

Thank you for your reply.  I have talked to Rebecca. 

0 Cheers