Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exposing All Social Security Numbers on default screen is a security violation?

Alltax
Level 2

When the programs update, they by default expose the complete Social Security Numbers of all clients to the entire office filed with clients and unlicensed workers.  This is a violation of every IRS rule in the book!

4 Comments 4

Could you elaborate on "when programs update"?  You seem to suggest that non-employees can see SSNs in your office.

Thank you.

User FIDO 61
Level 8

If you have interest in Settings you may try...

Unsure if you are able to change Defaults/Configure acceptable Display in Options, and then revoke Trustee Rights to lock-out any further Display changes by Users 

Settings > Primary Options

[Tax type] Primary Options > Trustee Rights

Rights > [Uncheck] Adjust User Options

Be prepared to explain why Users cannot adjust their own PC settings (Font size, etc.) for best performance.

Murky deep diving as Administrator versus Users in Lacerte land in my experience. Bonne chance!

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪

Your thoughts seem to be the writings of someone very busy and occupied with other matters, so it is difficult for me to understand how unauthorized people are viewing client information and how this is related to the Screen settings.  Since you mention users, are these employees of your firm?

"...be prepared to explain" seems to be a directive to Intuit or someone other than me.

I feel bad that you aren't finding solutions.

0 Cheers
User FIDO 61
Level 8

On second thought. Nah.

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers