Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneously Requested Electronic Payment

msindc1
Level 4

Folks:

Client has a $200,000 federal tax bill.  After going back and forth on it, he decided he would pay $30,000 at the time of the return, submit an installment agreement request, and then pay the remainder in the fall when he receives a bonus.

When I submitted the return, I realized moments after clicking that it still had the electronic payment of amounts due checkbox checked.

I cannot cancel the electronic payment because there isn't enough time.  I believe that the client can make sure that the payment account has inadequate funds to cover the bill, so the payment will fail.

How often does the IRS impose the "bounced check" penalty?

And presuming the penalty is charged, how likely is it that we can get the penalty waived on the ground that electronic payment was a tax-preparer error?

Is there anything I can do to mitigate the harm in advance, or do I have to wait for notice from the IRS?

Is there anything else I can do?

Micah

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

"How often does the IRS impose the "bounced check" penalty?"  Always

"Is there anything else I can do?" Apologize to the client. Notify your professional liability insurance carrier.

Offer to pay the penalty?

Ex-AllStar
CMcCullough
Level 3

IRS seems to automatically do the dishonored payment penalty anytime a payment does not work.  I have no idea how a tax preparer error cause will work to have it waived.  I do know that first time penalty abatement does not work to abate it.  

Accountant-Man
Level 13

An installment agreement request will not be approved with so high a liability. TP must submit 433-A and maybe 433-B.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.