Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERO Default 8879 Signature Date

Adam R
Level 3

Is there a way to get the ERO signature to also print the date on the 8879? I would like to have it do it as of the date the return is printed. I know there is the "ERO's Signature Date" on 4.1, but this is an override input. I am trying to find where the setting is that this input is overriding. I would prefer to not have to manual enter or write it each time. Also, I don't want to have it put the date on the taxpayers line. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

The input for ERO signature date prints in all 2 or 3 spots since the ERO can not sign BEFORE the taxpayer signs. It is assumed everyone is in the same room signing on the same day. You need to maintain the actual signed form, so getting it print is really just a bit redundant. You can not make the program do what you want in this instance. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Adam R
Level 3

Ok, thanks

0 Cheers
amacpa
Level 3

not for nothing but I believe CV19 changed the protocols and digital or the like are acceptable (let me know if I'm mistaken) . Pub 1345 clarifies a lot but not for every possible, tenable, situation, and I sign the 8879 prior to my client's signature just as I sign the tax return copy. I did have an eFile audit years ago because my efin was compromised and the IRS needed to verify I'm in compliance. As such, I know redact my ERO's EFIN/PIN from all 8879 forms as I discovered this, plus my EIN on the form 1040 is what the hackers used to compromise my efin, and I know exactly which shady (former) 1040 client allowed this to happen