Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

entering partner's 1065 K1 13W 2% deductions on 1040

LSTAX
Level 4

Partner has a K1 with box 13 code W showing legal & professional fees and management fees of $1,000 (formerly deductible by individuals under IRC 67 subject to 2% AGI floor).

I am attempting to do the entry on screen 20.1 so that the adjusted basis for federal and CA are correct but  the result is no deduction on the 1040 but CA gets the deduction.

My solution so far is to enter -1,000 under Separately Stated income and deductions on the "state if different" column  with nothing in the federal column.  Then I enter 1,000 under 18C non deductible expenses but if I don't enter -1 for CA under the state column  on 18C, the CA  adjusted basis Loss allowed by basis limitation doubles to 2,000. 

How should this be entered to keep CA and federal adj. basis correct and the 1040 and 540 correct? If I just entered it directly on schedule A, it would not tie to the K1 partnership information.

Thank you

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

They should. Instead of fooling with it any more, adjust the basis in the basis section - other increase or decrease as needed.

Life is short.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

I am confused. The federal basis is reduced $1,000 for non deductible expenses and the CA is reduced $1,000 for deductible expenses. Am I missing something? 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
LSTAX
Level 4

I thought that even if the expenses are not deductible on the 1040 they should still reduce federal adjusted basis.

sjrcpa
Level 15

They should. Instead of fooling with it any more, adjust the basis in the basis section - other increase or decrease as needed.

Life is short.

Ex-AllStar
LSTAX
Level 4

you are right, hadn't thought of that.  Thank you for pointing out I can just adjust the basis.

mgdtax
Level 3

Running into the same issue.  We shouldn't have to adjust the federal basis manually.  Based on the CA entry in Box Code 226 (right under Line 13 - Other Deductions, state if different), both the federal and CA bases should be adjusted.  Currently, only CA basis is being adjusted.

0 Cheers