Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering a W-2 with no wages due to 3rd party sick pay & Federal W/H.

Dodgerfan
Level 3

How do you enter a W-2 for 3rd party sick pay with no wages in box 1 but Federal W/H in Box 2? Box 12a shows code J with the sick pay and box 13 is checked for 3rd party sick pay. When I enter the information a critical diagnostic is generated.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbynaker
Level 13

You might not be able to efile (in which case it doesn't matter if you have a critical diagnostic).  I'd be inclined to run with scissors and put $1 in as federal wages.  But my guess is that you still can't efile if FWH is greater than wages.  I see a trip to the post office in someone's future.  I'd love to be wrong though (fingers crossed for you!)

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2
rbynaker
Level 13

You might not be able to efile (in which case it doesn't matter if you have a critical diagnostic).  I'd be inclined to run with scissors and put $1 in as federal wages.  But my guess is that you still can't efile if FWH is greater than wages.  I see a trip to the post office in someone's future.  I'd love to be wrong though (fingers crossed for you!)

Rick

Dodgerfan
Level 3

I put in $1 as wages and that removed the diagnostic. Thank you.

0 Cheers