Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

efiling state returns without filing federal

jmichaelv
Level 1

Arkansas may not adopt the new filing deadline.  Can I efile an Arkansas return without filing a federal?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  bookmark this for piggyback https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/ef-atlas-federal-state-ef-method-standalo...

If you have a concern about state not coming around, I would simply file a fed and state extension. Possibly make a payment to AK if necessary. PATIENCE this is an evolving story, so I would just put all of these concerns on hold until closer to April 15. It should all shake out by then. NO RUSH! KEEP CALM AND FILE ON (time?)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youd need to find out if Arkansas is a piggyback state or not....if so then it can only be filed along with the federal.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
jmichaelv
Level 1

How do I find that out?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I'd google it.

0 Cheers
jmichaelv
Level 1

I just did.  We are.  I have a client who is chair of the revenue and tax committee in our state legislature and he is trying to get the governor to adopt the new filing deadlines.  The problem is Arkansas has a fiscal year end of June 30, and delaying revenue until July 15 throws the budget out of whack.  I am trying to feed him info to help.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

California has a fiscal year like that as well, at first they only delayed until June 15th, but then finally conformed to the IRS July 15th date...so give them time,  they may come around.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You can always file the federal returns on the AR timeline, then just delay federal payment until July 15th.

0 Cheers
jmichaelv
Level 1

That is what I plan to do if they don't come around. 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now-  bookmark this for piggyback https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/ef-atlas-federal-state-ef-method-standalo...

If you have a concern about state not coming around, I would simply file a fed and state extension. Possibly make a payment to AK if necessary. PATIENCE this is an evolving story, so I would just put all of these concerns on hold until closer to April 15. It should all shake out by then. NO RUSH! KEEP CALM AND FILE ON (time?)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
atoth
Level 1

Can New Jersey be e-filed without e-filing the federal return? The information in the link was not clear enough.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

NJ is in the State Only column, which means this

State-only return:

The state return can be processed independently of the federal return. It's a common misconception that these returns aren't sent to the IRS—they are. However, the IRS sets aside these returns for processing by the states, in most cases, prior to acceptance of the federal return or the federal return being e-filed.

So it may not be processed until the IRS processes the federal return.