Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efile Reject - Dependent - client wants to..

Efile rejected because Ex (likely) already claimed a child. My client thinks the Ex claimed only one child. So, she wants to e-file again excluding the child she thinks was claimed.

Do I need to clear e-file history before trying again?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

I would just 'suppress for this year' the kid at issue in the dependents screeen, then try e-filing again.    You shouldn't have to clear the history.  At least I didn't on one similar several years ago.

Obviously the tax will change (most likely...) so you might need new esign docs.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

I would just 'suppress for this year' the kid at issue in the dependents screeen, then try e-filing again.    You shouldn't have to clear the history.  At least I didn't on one similar several years ago.

Obviously the tax will change (most likely...) so you might need new esign docs.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sometimes the business of tax preparation devolves into a slight of hand card trick --------- pick a kid, any kid.  Honestly, why can't folks get their act together a little better than that.  😢

Slava Ukraini!

Her ex filed first.  But she had a strong hunch that he would claim only one child. She knew the ex would claim his "favorite".    She was right! 

I removed the favorite, refiled and it went through.  So happy!

Thanks for your help you guys.