Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efile diagnostic for non-efiled Form 5227

Timburgh
Level 2

The federal boxes at the top of screen 1 are not checked.

In Settings, the "default to efile" box is set to "no". The IRS does not accept e-file for Form 5227.

On screen 47, I suppressed Form 1041-A.

Why am I receiving critical diagnostic 14166?

It says:

"e-file:  The federal return was selected for e-file, but Form 1041 is not applicable for this file.  Turn off federal for e-file by unchecking the box in Client Information. (ref. #14166)"

This causes a validation error, apparently, that will prevent e-filing of the state (PA) return.

7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15
Timburgh
Level 2

I’ve been preparing the 5227s for years, but thanks for responding.

My issue concerns the e-file diagnostic which the software incorrectly generates. The solution turned out to be, I think, to ignore the critical diagnostic. I hope, anyway. I will try to e-file soon, fingers crossed. 

lshCPA
Level 2

Have you looked at the Form 5227 instructions this year?  The IRS is planning to add an efiling option for 5227.   I've been trying to find the timeline so I can decide whether to print these for paper filing or wait for the efiling option.  

I hope someone chimes in. I've emailed my rep but he must be on out on winter vacay.

Timburgh
Level 2

My understanding is that the 5227's will not be eligible for efiling until next year (2022 returns). 

lshCPA
Level 2

Is that true?  @IntuitBettyJo 

Timburgh
Level 2

Sorry, no, I was wrong.

The instructions to the form (pasted below) indicate that electronic filing may be available in 2022. So that means it might be available for 2021 returns. 

"What’s New
Electronic filing expected to be available in 2022.
Electronic filing of Form 5227 is expected to be available
2022, and the IRS will announce the specific date of
availability when the programming comes online."

Timburgh
Level 2

Called Lacerte support yesterday and they told me to file the PA-41s on paper. No software solution this year.