Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-filing return before 4/15, after setting up 4/15 auto-debit ext payments?

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but would love some reassurance.

I had a handful of clients lagging on getting me stuff. I hold my boundaries, it's time to extend so we don't rush and make mistakes.  For the clients that owe, I offer auto-debit through Lacerte, queued up for 4/15.

Once I get everyone filed/extended, and if I have bandwidth before 4/15, can I go back and finalize those extended returns where clients have gotten me everything?

i.e., Can I file the return pre-4/15 saying ext payment of $X has been made when that e-payment transaction hasn't happened?  Or should I just hold them for after 4/15 for the extension payments to settle?

I can't imagine the efile would interrupt the extension payment auto-debit, but will there be a mismatch/rejection for extension payments not yet made at time of efile?

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Intuit_Kallana
Employee
Employee

I understood your question.  I happen to be a preparer myself and the answer is still the same.  The IRS does not normally reject for an extension payment that has not processed as it would still show in their system as pending 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
Intuit_Kallana
Employee
Employee

Yes you can do as you are thinking.  The system does not generally reject for payments in process given that Intuit does not have any control or links to the IRS payment system.  We only transmit your request for payment. 

0 Cheers
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Kallana, I appreciate you weighing in, but that wasn't my actual question.  I'm not worried about the extension payment rejecting, or even the return e-file rejecting.

I'm asking if anyone knows if the IRS will have an issue processing a return e-filed (today, for example), denoting an extension payment, when that extension payment won't draft until next Monday.

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
0 Cheers
Intuit_Kallana
Employee
Employee

I understood your question.  I happen to be a preparer myself and the answer is still the same.  The IRS does not normally reject for an extension payment that has not processed as it would still show in their system as pending 🙂

0 Cheers
Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Ah, I see now.  I misunderstood your original reply "The system does not generally reject" as "the system" being Lacerte, and not the IRS.  Thank you!

0 Cheers