Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do royalties rec'd from writing a book qualify for sec 199A deduction

RRRR
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

This is becoming like a game of Wheel of Fortune, where the OP already has the puzzle set up and we really just need to solve it according to the preconceived notion.

Now that I know the vowel that George bought isn't in the puzzle and some consonants Jeff chose are in it, Pat, I'd like to solve the puzzle please!

Writing "A" book is generally not an activity that is regular, continuous, or substantial enough to rise to the level of a §162 trade or business.  I believe there've been various court rulings to that effect, which is consistent with how the law has been interpreted for other types of ventures.

Unless the royalty is for a qualified trade or business, the income of which would be reportable on Sch C and subject to SE-tax, the royalty income, prima facie, should not be eligible for QBI deduction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
itonewbie
Level 15

This is becoming like a game of Wheel of Fortune, where the OP already has the puzzle set up and we really just need to solve it according to the preconceived notion.

Now that I know the vowel that George bought isn't in the puzzle and some consonants Jeff chose are in it, Pat, I'd like to solve the puzzle please!

Writing "A" book is generally not an activity that is regular, continuous, or substantial enough to rise to the level of a §162 trade or business.  I believe there've been various court rulings to that effect, which is consistent with how the law has been interpreted for other types of ventures.

Unless the royalty is for a qualified trade or business, the income of which would be reportable on Sch C and subject to SE-tax, the royalty income, prima facie, should not be eligible for QBI deduction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I would enter them on Schedule C and answer YES

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I would enter them on Schedule C and answer NO.

Well, I might answer YES, if I knew more information about the taxpayer, but I've developed an allergy to "not helpful" votes.  George is allergy free.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers