Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Depreciable property contributed to a new partnership.

rliptzin
Level 1

What is the best way to set up an asset in Lacerte that was contributed to a partnership from another partnership? Under Code Section 721 there is no gain or loss on the contribution and so the new entity takes on the cost basis of the asset contributed and continues to depreciate it for its remaining life.

1. Do I enter the date of contribution or the date originally placed in service as the date placed in service.

2. Do I enter the tax basis going forward (cost less accumulated depreciation) and the remaining useful life or do I enter the total cost, accumulated depreciation and the original method and years of recovery?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

"1. Do I enter the date of contribution or the date originally placed in service as the date placed in service." - Date originally placed in service

"2. Do I enter the tax basis going forward (cost less accumulated depreciation) and the remaining useful life or do I enter the total cost, accumulated depreciation and the original method and years of recovery?" Original cost less accumulated depreciation, including any taken on the other return for the 1st part of the year. You then have to force the actual for this year to get the total to come out right. 

If you are doing both return, use the Export Depreciation and Import Depreciation features. You will have to diddle with the current year depreciation to assure no excess. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns