Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charity W/ Standard Deduction: Sch A amount being overridden by amount from K1 reporting

RETaxAcctBrk
Level 3

1040: Line 12a Charitable contributions w/standard deduction:

Heads Up - Just noted that charity amounts entered into Sch A is being overridden by amounts coming from K1 input, so Line 12a is not being properly calculated and you have to force the $300 or $600 using the Sch A Override input.

After 15 minutes waiting for a rep, spent time showing him the issue, was then "disconnected".  No call back - so figured I better post.

My best - Larry

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

I just checked a return with this scenario and I am not able to replicate your issue.

Meaning... cash contribution on K-1 is NOT overriding the amount entered on Screen 25.

Perhaps check your data entry?  Or provide some specifics for 'us' to test drive 😊

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
RETaxAcctBrk
Level 3

Thank you - additional details and testing - I was able to duplicate on 3 clients:

Personal 1040 - MFJ and HOH.

Sch A input,  Scr25 60/100% Cash Contr line.  Total Sch A below standard deduction.

Sch K1 - Partnership - .

K1 Partnership, Line 13 - Code G Cash Contributions - any figure would override the Sch A amount, or other K1 Line 13 Code A input.  However, clients with multiple K1's the Code G would add up and transfer to 1040 Line 12B.

If I used K1 Line 13 code A instead, then all charity was being properly add to Sch A input  and reflected properly on 12B.

Strange stuff - just going to change K1 input code to A, or use the Screen 25 Charity Override.

Crazy stuff.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

It might have to do with 'overriding' and/or multiple K-1's (I seldom override in Lacerte).  It sounds like a rather unusual scenario - if you are comfortable with the results then making it work by forcing the correct amount I'd go for it.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"