Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I override the basic exclusion amount on Form 706? I need the 2021 amount but, of course, only have the 2020 software. It seems like you should be able to change it since the form is not year-specific.

carla1
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
carla1
Level 2

I ended up calling Lacerte and they confirmed there is no override.  She told me I would have to extend and wait for the 2021 software, which should come out around mid-November.  Guess I'll have to work it out in 2020 and then re-input everything in 2021 since I can't wait that long to start.  I'm wondering if there's a way to transfer the data.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

Try it and find out.  It's not like it will have to pass e-filing checks.  

Richard C
Level 2

I have the same question.  The one reply does not seem to answer the question, as I have inputted the data into the 2020 program and cannot see how to change the exclusion amount.

0 Cheers
carla1
Level 2

I ended up calling Lacerte and they confirmed there is no override.  She told me I would have to extend and wait for the 2021 software, which should come out around mid-November.  Guess I'll have to work it out in 2020 and then re-input everything in 2021 since I can't wait that long to start.  I'm wondering if there's a way to transfer the data.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

It's just a few lines on the first page of the 706, right?  You can find the fillable pdf for that here.  

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f706.pdf

If you don't want to fill out the whole page, use correction tape or fluid.   If that looks messy, make a copy and type in the correct figures.  

Humans knew how to relieve themselves before indoor plumbing.  Tax preparers should know how forms were filled out before computer software.