Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Moving Expenses

avjayk
Level 2

2020 Lacerte, Individual:

I am filing moving expenses for California and Screen 27 says that the moving screen can be used for states that do not conform to TCJA.

I'm receiving a critical diagnostic Ref. #55110 that says "e-file: Form 3903 without being marked as a Member of the Armed Forces and doing a permanent move due to change in station will fail when electronic filing. This return will have to filed as a conventional paper return. (ref. #55110)"

Is there a way for this diagnostic to be cleared and e-file? I think this is a 2020 bug because I haven't had this in past years. We are not trying to file a Form 3903 for the federal return, only California.

Thanks!!!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Drphibes
Level 7

Yup, put that in to Service Requests 10 days ago, you have to file paper the returns.  The Schema cross check between Fed and State gives an error that can't be rectified.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
Drphibes
Level 7

Yup, put that in to Service Requests 10 days ago, you have to file paper the returns.  The Schema cross check between Fed and State gives an error that can't be rectified.

chuck gerber
Level 2

Then should be paper copy to State only correct?

It seems I will file federal and ignore 3903 info and then claim on California paper copy --- yuck.

0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

at the suggestions of another community member, I did not have moving expenses in, unchecked e-file state, and filed Federal.  Then I unchecked e-file Federal, added the moving expenses, checked the box for a military move, and then filed CA.  Both returns went through.

JB11
Level 1

I'm having the same problem.  Were you able to get this resolved without paper filing California?

0 Cheers
avjayk
Level 2

I was not.

0 Cheers