Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California AB 150 PTE Tax Affects Tax Credits on non-resident

tony77777
Level 2

My client is a Arkansas  resident. He has a K1 from CA that has PTE which reduced his CA tax to zero. However. because of his CA tax is zero, Arkansas won't give him any credits. He has to pay over 12k taxes on his CA income to Arkansas compared to last year. Does anyone meet this kind of issue?   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tony77777
Level 2

We end up amended the K1 of the pass through entity to opt out the PTE for my client, so he can receive the AR credits. 

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6

Several thoughts:

1. Why does Arkansas tax CA income for an Arkansas resident?

2. The PTE, if paid in 2021, reduced his Federal, Ark and CA taxes so that should be explained to your client.

3. The OSTC is secondary to the PTE.  This clarifies. Hope you solve it.

Passthrough entity tax OSTC fix enacted (09-29-22)

The Governor has signed SB 851, which fixes the reduction in the Other State Tax Credit (OSTC) that resulted for taxpayers claiming the Passthrough Entity Elective Tax Credit for taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2022.

Although SB 113 (Ch. 22-3) changed the ordering rules for post-2021 taxable years, so that the OSTC is claimed prior to the Passthrough Entity Elective Tax Credit, according to the FTB it did not change how the OSTC was calculated. This had the effect of dramatically reducing the amount of the OSTC a California resident taxpayer could claim.

SB 851 increases the amount of the California “net tax” used to calculate the OSTC by the amount of the Passthrough Entity Elective Tax Credit claimed, thereby allowing taxpayers who claim both credits to receive the full amount of the OSTC they would have claimed if they had not claimed the Passthrough Entity Elective Tax Credit. 

SB 851 does not “fix” the mandatory June 15 prepayment requirements. Taxpayers who failed to make the required prepayment for June 15, 2022, will not be able to make the election for the 2022 taxable year unless a legislative fix is enacted next year.

Once again, credit to Spidell.

sjrcpa
Level 15

1. Arkansas taxes its residents on all their income, as do most states.

Ex-AllStar
tony77777
Level 2

We end up amended the K1 of the pass through entity to opt out the PTE for my client, so he can receive the AR credits. 

sjrcpa
Level 15

Is his overall Federal, CA, and AR tax less this way? I wouldn't think it would be.

Ex-AllStar
tony77777
Level 2

The client has to pay more on Federal and CA, but he can use the AR credits. The overall taxes he paid is less since he also saves the CA PTE on the company level.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Interesting.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers