Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA 540NR Part 1 will not populate spouse data

lancermc
Level 3

No matter what I do the column for spouse will not populate to Form CA 540NR Part 1. Data is entered on screen 55.011, but will not show up on Form. Couple is same sex but not RDP, actually married, both live in TX, husband has filed CA non resident return for many years as he owns rentals in CA. Spouse is new in 2020 and owns no property in CA. They are keeping all property and income separate.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Your client is filing MFS.  The spouse's info is NOT needed on Sch CA(540NR); therefore, Column for "Spouse" would be blank.

(Your client's filing status is also MFS for CA.) 

What do you mean by "there is all kinds of income"?  If the Spose has CA source income and has to file a CA 540NR, Spouse will file as MFS and Spouse's info will be under "Yourself" on Spouse's Sch CA (540NR).  On that return, your client would be the "Spouse" (and the column under "Spouse would be blank - i.e. your client's info would NOT be needed).  On that return, your client's spouse would be the "Yourself"   

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.

View solution in original post

8 Comments 8
lancermc
Level 3

Its actually Form CA(540NR) or as listed in Lacerte Sch CA-NR.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

What type of income?

Are you sure you indicated filing status as MFJ?

Your question needs more info to really get help here. 

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/allocating-income-to-different-states-withou...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

MFJ Spouse column has info 

MFS Spouse Column NO info.

0 Cheers
lancermc
Level 3

Part 1 CA(540NR) lists all answers for lines 1 - 8 for "yourself", but will not populate column for "spouse".

Yes MFS is selected on Federal, and there is all kinds of income?

0 Cheers
lancermc
Level 3

what more information do you need?

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Your client is filing MFS.  The spouse's info is NOT needed on Sch CA(540NR); therefore, Column for "Spouse" would be blank.

(Your client's filing status is also MFS for CA.) 

What do you mean by "there is all kinds of income"?  If the Spose has CA source income and has to file a CA 540NR, Spouse will file as MFS and Spouse's info will be under "Yourself" on Spouse's Sch CA (540NR).  On that return, your client would be the "Spouse" (and the column under "Spouse would be blank - i.e. your client's info would NOT be needed).  On that return, your client's spouse would be the "Yourself"   

lancermc
Level 3

Spot on answer Joshua. Makes perfect sense to me now with your explanation. Taxpayer, my client, and spouse who has someone else prepare there return, are filing completely separately. Both are fairly wealthy and have kept and keep affairs completely separate. My client has "all kinds of income", pensions, RE, portfolio, etc. He has rental property in CA hence the 540NR. Spouse has no assets in CA.

Thanks again, you solved it.

Lance

0 Cheers
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

You're welcome!

Or, as the new-aged English goes...

Your welcome!

0 Cheers