Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bonus versus 179

June
Level 2
My understanding is that electing out bonus in 2018 has to apply to all classes of newly added assets but I can elect 179 on an asset by asset basis. I want to cherry pick which assets I take extra depreciation on but I cannot tell if Lacerte is taking 179 or Bonus
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Best Answer

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

If you do no special entry in Lacerte, you'll get bonus depreciation. If you want §179 you have to enter the dollar amount in the 179 field. Look at the 4562 and depreciation schedule for more info.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I'll let a Lacertian answer your actual questions (I use ProSeries), but the election out of Bonus depreciation applies to all assets in that class (7 year, 5 year, etc.), but the election 'out' ONLY applies to that class.  Other classes (such as 5 year versus 7 year) can still use Bonus.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

If you do no special entry in Lacerte, you'll get bonus depreciation. If you want §179 you have to enter the dollar amount in the 179 field. Look at the 4562 and depreciation schedule for more info.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers