Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backdoor Roth

SlosbergTax
Level 1

My client is a doctor.  He and his wife make way over the amount permissible for a Roth IRA contribution.  So, last week, the doctor contributed $7000 for himself and his wife to a nondeductible traditional IRA... Then, 2 days later, converted both of those contributions to a Roth IRA.  This was done for tax year 2020, but the contributions and rollovers happened in March of 2021.  So, no 1099-R's.  They have no basis in their traditional IRAs other than the $7000 each just contributed.  Everything else has already been converted to Roth,  Do I just go to Screen 24 and enter the traditional IRA contributions (nondeductible )?  What are the steps to a backdoor Roth?  Anyone?  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
qbteachmt
Level 15

"This was done for tax year 2020, but the contributions and rollovers happened in March of 2021."

Which was before the return filing date, so that counts as 2020, if that was the intent.

"Do I just go to Screen 24 and enter the traditional IRA contributions (nondeductible )?"

Yes. Later, there should be 5498, showing this did get converted. And a 1099-R for 2021, which should show it is for P = prior year 2020.

"What are the steps to a backdoor Roth?"

It's a complete rollover; you pointed out there is no basis to worry about.

"Backdoor" just means, was not deductible when contributed and "rolled over" right away = conversion, but it's a nontaxable event.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
SlosbergTax
Level 1

I'm Sorry... Do I do anything other than enter the Trad IRA contributions on screen 24 at the top?  Seems like 8606 should indicate that these contributions were made between 1/1/21 and 5/17/21.  Don't I need that info on 8606 to populate?  I need to know the steps to take on the computer to show this backdoor roth on the 2020 return.  Thanks...

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You have a nondeductible contribution to Trad IRA + conversion to Roth from an account where basis = 100% done so quickly that there also are no taxable earnings.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/retirement-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/conversion-of-a-t...

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/retirement-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/entering-a-basis-...

SlosbergTax
Level 1

Also, don't I need 8606 Lines 4 and 8 to populate with the figure $7000?  At the moment only lines 1, 3 and 14 show figures... all $7000.  Do I not need 4 and 8 to show $7000?

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You just started this again, here:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/nondeductible-trad-ira-to...

No need to keep starting over.

0 Cheers