Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Federal Extension due to declared disaster

Noel-Accountant
Level 2

Hello,

For Californians, the majority of the counties received the auto extension on payments and flings of the tax returns.   I don't see any box in input sheet (Screen #9) that refers to disasters related tax extension.    The usual spot for Form 4868 is not checked since no actual form was filed, and therefore, the client letter is not reflecting the extended due date.

Thanks in advance!

Noel

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

There isn't one, and there won't be one.

Intuit made  the decision to not do any program for the 'Disaster' extension.

The IRS will know by the zip code.... or so they said/say. 

Many folks who have filed, and owed but didn't pay have received letters stating they need to pay by July 19th (I think that's the date. In the letter was a separate sheet stating 'just kidding if you are in one of the disaster zones.   Few if any folks read that, generating phone calls to their tax preparers. A big enough stink was raised that (supposedly...) the IRS is sending out another notice to folks living in the right zip codes that "oops, we didn't mean you".

Oh my - the wasted time & money 🤣 

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
abctax55
Level 15

There isn't one, and there won't be one.

Intuit made  the decision to not do any program for the 'Disaster' extension.

The IRS will know by the zip code.... or so they said/say. 

Many folks who have filed, and owed but didn't pay have received letters stating they need to pay by July 19th (I think that's the date. In the letter was a separate sheet stating 'just kidding if you are in one of the disaster zones.   Few if any folks read that, generating phone calls to their tax preparers. A big enough stink was raised that (supposedly...) the IRS is sending out another notice to folks living in the right zip codes that "oops, we didn't mean you".

Oh my - the wasted time & money 🤣 

( Generic Comment )"

They updated the Arkansas extension deadline yesterday.  You could understand why Arkansas is much more important than California. 😤

abctax55
Level 15

@Strongsilence-CPA  -  wow, maybe they did cave & give us that option for CA too.  I installed the update, but haven't checked it out yet.  

( Generic Comment )"