Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto debit payments and amended returns

jerry
Level 5

I am amending a 2022 return that missed about $25k of non-recurring income (related to CA Personal Family Leave)

I do not want to change the original calculated 2023 estimated payments, even though the 110% safe harbor would calculate a higher amount with the missed income.

Can I over-ride the payments on Screen 7.1 to use the original amounts?  Or will this result in duplicate auto-debits?   Or will entering nothing here cancel the original scheduled payments?

Help!

Thx

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

The auto debits have already been scheduled and this will not change them. Just to be sure remove the check marks to do auto debit. Override the estimates to be the specific numbers of the original return. 

Even though the PFL is not taxable to CA, you should probably amend the CA to have the new Schedule CA match up to what they will get from IRS once amended. 

I do not believe you can pay the 1040x via auto debit. If not give the client instructions on how to pay online with https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

The auto debits have already been scheduled and this will not change them. Just to be sure remove the check marks to do auto debit. Override the estimates to be the specific numbers of the original return. 

Even though the PFL is not taxable to CA, you should probably amend the CA to have the new Schedule CA match up to what they will get from IRS once amended. 

I do not believe you can pay the 1040x via auto debit. If not give the client instructions on how to pay online with https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

jerry
Level 5

Thanks!

The Lacerte default letter says that the tax owed will be "directly withdrawn from your bank account once the IRS has processed the return."

Do I need to edit the letter?

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

The letter reflects what boxes you have checked to do direct debit. Since this is an amended return, my guess is you should remove all of those check marks. 

0 Cheers