Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are state and federal refunds taxable income for C-corporations?

Jeanne2007
Level 2
I have a client that received refunds for his c-corporation from both state and IRS and included the income on their P&L.  Is it taxable income if they use cash method?
14 Comments 14
PATAX
Level 15

Federal and State corporate tax refunds are not taxable regardless of whether your client uses cash or accrual basis. It is not income . The entry is debit cash and credit prepaid corporate tax. Just my opinion.

sjrcpa
Level 15

State tax refunds are taxable on the federal return if you deducted the tax payment on an earlier federal return.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

@sjrcpa Who actually does that? Wouldn't the entry, when the tax payment was made, have been credit cash and debit prepaid corporate tax?

sjrcpa
Level 15

For accounting purposes, yes. For a cash basis taxpayer I would deduct state taxes paid in the year paid.

Ex-AllStar
Jeanne2007
Level 2

My understanding is if the c-corporation paid estimates or overpaid throughout or end of the year, then it's money returned as an overpayment not as income.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-03-3.pdf

LAW AND ANALYSIS

Section 451(a) provides that an item of income shall be included in gross income for
the taxable year it is received by the taxpayer, unless, under the method of accounting
used in computing taxable income, the amount is to be properly accounted for as of a
different period.

Section 1.451-1(a) of the Income Tax Regulations provides, in part, that under an
accrual method of accounting, income is includible in gross income when all the events
have occurred that fix the right to receive the income and the amount thereof can be
determined with reasonable accuracy.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You said cash basis.

Were state taxes deducted?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Jeanne2007
Level 2

The tax return states cash basis but on the return where the estimates are reported it's listed there as well as on the deduction screen.  On the deduction screen, it lists the 2021 estimate paid and the the estimates paid in 2021 for tax year 2021.

Sorry I am trying to get a better understanding.

sjrcpa
Level 15

If the state tax refund is from state taxes that were previously deducted it is taxable income.

Ex-AllStar
Jeanne2007
Level 2

Thank you!

One more question.  If the client over-paid a federal estimate in 2021 for tax year 2020 and received a refund, would that be considered income?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Federal tax refunds are not taxable income. Federal tax payments are not deductible.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Jeanne2007
Level 2

Thank you so very much!

Judd Kuo
Level 1

Federal refunds for C-Corporations are taxable.  However, Federal refunds for S-Corp and LLC are not taxable.   I have a C-corporation established in 1997 and have been running it to now.  I have filed taxes through using Turbo Tax sine 1997.

abctax55
Level 15

@Judd Kuo 

Welcome to this forum that is intended to be for tax professionals.

Even tho Turdohhho tax has allowed you to do that 27 years, that is incorrect. Federal taxes are not deductible, ergo the refunds are not taxable income.  

And, with very few exceptions, S-Corps and LLC's do not PAY any Federal taxes

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

You might wish to consider amending your prior year tax returns.

@Judd Kuo