Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are attachments necessary when e-filing 1040-X?

Cliff Cherry
Level 2

I think I know the answer but wish it was spelled out better - the Intuit instructions for e-filing 1040-X don't mention anything about attachments, so I'm presuming they aren't necessary, but since it's not addressed in the negative (something along the lines of "There is no need to attach any files as Lacerte automatically includes any forms that changed") I want to make sure.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Start the efile verification and you should get to this screen

efile summary.JPG

Click View Summary Report and you can see what is included. It should be all the files that IRS will need. 

Just mention the Amended K-1 and the corrected Schedule E and ... in Screen 59.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Any explanation should fit in the 1040-X text area. Keep it short - Increased advertising expense on Sch C - Sch D corrected to show all sales - EIC incorrectly claimed on orig return - ....

0 Cheers
Cliff Cherry
Level 2

I'm referring to the IRS requirement that when you paper file the 1040X, you need to include any forms that changed as a result.  For example, taxpayer received an amended K-1 so if they were paper filing the revised Schedule E Page 2 would need to be attached.  

The Lacerte instructions for e-filing don't mention anything about attaching such forms, so the presumption is that they would automatically be included with the 1040-X e-file.  But I'm looking to make sure that is the case.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Start the efile verification and you should get to this screen

efile summary.JPG

Click View Summary Report and you can see what is included. It should be all the files that IRS will need. 

Just mention the Amended K-1 and the corrected Schedule E and ... in Screen 59.

Cliff Cherry
Level 2

OK thanks - that did work.  Interestingly it appears that all forms are being included, which is not what the IRS asks for so hopefully they'll be OK with it 🙂 

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

IRS talks differently with software developers than it does with individuals. My guess is that there is some sort of "flag" put on those forms that are different.