Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amended return - undo

MRA
Level 2

How do you undo (delete from input) an amended return form and return to the original tax return letter and information? i.e - how do you delete a 1040X within the data entry? Client had interchanged 2 childrens' SS in 2 previous tax years. We started to set up an amend and decided to hand write rather than amend those past years. This is first year working with this client and 2019 SS numbers for these children will now be reported differently. Lacerte keeps referring to a 1040X that we cannot seem to delete and complete only current year tax return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

First back up the file!

Go to the input and use CTRL+W to enter batch mode.  Scroll down the left hand column to find 59 - 1040X. Click on the 1st line of code/Amount/Description and start using CTRL+D to delete those lines that are there. 

Use CTRL+W to go back to batch input. You may want to go to Screen 47 and add an "Letter Misc 1" opening paragraph about this being a corrective filing.

Does this really need to be corrected? Is there any change in tax? IRS pulls form SS records and if the clients have not been contacted, I sure wouldn't muddy the waters with any hand written new form.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

First back up the file!

Go to the input and use CTRL+W to enter batch mode.  Scroll down the left hand column to find 59 - 1040X. Click on the 1st line of code/Amount/Description and start using CTRL+D to delete those lines that are there. 

Use CTRL+W to go back to batch input. You may want to go to Screen 47 and add an "Letter Misc 1" opening paragraph about this being a corrective filing.

Does this really need to be corrected? Is there any change in tax? IRS pulls form SS records and if the clients have not been contacted, I sure wouldn't muddy the waters with any hand written new form.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
Mordy
Level 2

Since there is no official Undo in Lacerte.  I try to always use a second copy of the file to create the amended return.  If I mess up I can always delete the entire client but my original data is in tact.  If amending the original file to undo, all entries that were inserted after the amended return was created have to be deleted.

0 Cheers
MRA
Level 2

Thank you very much!

0 Cheers